Cosmetic Treatments At Every Age: The 40’s
Glowing, radiant celebrities like Eva Mendes and Rachel Weisz, who both celebrate 40-something birthdays this month, have managed to maintain a timeless appearance without overdoing it, achieving the perfect balance of age appropriate and ageless.
A few weeks ago, in Cosmetic Treatments for Every Age: the 20’s and 30’s, we covered the best at-home skincare tips and non-invasive treatments for early aging skin. During your 40’s, despite these preventative measures, skin inevitably experiences certain hormonal and age-related changes. But, by being proactive and taking advantage of the best cosmetic treatments for aging skin, you can prevent the onset of uneven skin tone, wrinkles, and loss of volume, and even slow down the aging process.
What To Expect From Skin During Your 40s
Many women begin to experience perimenopause, or the time around a woman’s transition into menopause. During perimenopause, hormonal changes and slowed collagen production coincide with an overall change in the texture and tone of your skin. Because your skin doesn’t produce natural structural elements, mainly collagen, as quickly as it did in your 20’s and 30’s, you may notice slight hooding of the eyelids, a loss of volume and reduced elasticity in the face, crepiness, and more pronounced laxity on the face, neck and body. Since cell turnover also slows down in your 40’s, your skin may also begin to lose some of its natural glow, resulting in a duller complexion. A slower metabolism means it’s not as easy to lose weight or burn off that stubborn bulge with exercise and diet alone. Any existing imperfections on your skin that you already have tend to worsen with age, such as leg veins, broken capillaries, and sunspots. But don’t despair…
Top Cosmetic Treatments For Your 40s
1. Ultherapy: To counteract the loss of skin’s natural structure that occurs in your 40’s, I recommend Ulthera. Ulthera is an ultrasound procedure that stimulates the skin’s production of collagen and elastin, and can be administered on the face and body.
2. Fraxel: While gentle lasers like Clear + Brilliant work well in your 20’s and 30’s, more aggressive laser treatments like fractional resurfacing are more effective in your 40’s for improving the tone of skin and reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
3. Neurotoxin injections: Botox and Dysport, work proactively to soften existing lines in your face and also prevent the formation of deeper lines, by limiting the muscle movements that cause wrinkles.
4. Dermal fillers such as Juvederm Voluma counteract the visible signs of volume loss, smoothing fine lines and deep wrinkles, volumizing and defining lips, and adding contour to the face to recreate the fuller, more supple look of younger skin.
5. CoolSculpting can target and erase age related fat deposits, like stubborn, small pockets of fat around love handles, the mid-section and the inside and outside of things.
READ THIS NEXT: Cosmetic Treatments At Every Age: The 50s & 60s
CURIOUS about our experts? They’re the best.
Learn more about Dr. Julie Russak, MD