Pucker Up: 6 Anti-Aging Lip Treatments That Work
Visit any beauty counter and you’ll find a slew of face, eye, hand, neck, and décolletage creams, all with powerful ingredients to hydrate, protect, and correct. These products find their way into our morning and evening routines with the dedicated observation of religious ritual so as not to miss one spot in the anti-aging mission. But even with our best efforts, there is a patch of skin that, although arguably the most noticeable and most overworked, is also the most often overlooked: our lips.
Our lips are endlessly abused, constantly getting licked, chapped, rubbed, and slathered with makeup. They even take a beating from skin-irritating food and drinks that are spicy or acidic. Yet, the skin on our lips is four to five times thinner than the rest of our face, which means they need a daily dose of TLC, especially when temperatures start to plummet or fine lines start to surface around the mouth.
Don’t worry about sorting through those cluttered beauty counter product barrages for the lip treatments that work; Charlotte did all the sorting for you.
1. Rodin Olio Lusso Tinted Lip Balm, $30 The skin care line with a cult following created by beauty legend Linda Rodin boasts a lip balm formulated with natural ingredients. Loaded with argan oil, beeswax, shea butter, aloe, jasmine, and orange flower oil, the sheer pink balm replenishes skin on the spot while warding off against future damage. We also adore the chic see through lucite case.
2. SkinCeuticals Antioxidant Lip Repair, $38. Unlike sticky heavy duty lip balms, this powerful treatment has the lightness of a lotion and penetrates quickly into the skin. Going beyond simply moisturizing, this anti-aging elixir utilizes antioxidants vitamin E and silymarin, an extract of milk thistle seeds, to neutralize free radicals and hydrate, thus preventing the telltale creping of delicate lip tissue. Tip: apply to the lips and the outer lip line to prevent fine lines from surfacing.
3. Hourglass N° 28 Lip Treatment Oil, $42. If your obsessed with oils (as we are) this lip treatment will be your best friend this winter. It's packed with a whopping 14 oil extracts, including eucalyptus, hazelnut, kukui nut, olive, green tea, and jojoba. The formulation of essential oils, plant oils, vitamins A, B5, C, and E, as well as active ingredients, improves moisture levels in the skin, replenishes age-related lost softness and volume, and works to reduce the appearance of wrinkles. The 24-karat gold-plated tip is the luxurious icing on a very coveted cake.
4. La Mer The Lip Balm, $55. The formulation for La Mer’s Miracle Broth™ might be the most sought after, and protected, recipe in beauty history. However La Mer manages to put their miracle ingredients together, the results are clear; it works. The Broth delivers nutrients that soften lips, heal cracked skin, and restore lost moisture, while the other guarded ingredient, La Mer’s Lip Lipid Complex, repairs lips’ protective outer layer to strengthen against future damage and retain hydration.
5. Tata Harper Be True, $28. This 100% natural lip treatment draws from 17 active ingredients to combat thinning lips and wrinkles. Spanish Lavender relaxes muscles to smooth out lip lines and antioxidant-rich green tea, acai oil, and other plant extracts protect against environmental damage. Olive, apricot, and avocado oils naturally condition lips.
6. Tatcha Camellia Nourishing Lip Balm, $36. Based on the long-held beauty rituals of geishas, Tatcha’s skincare line is modern in its ancient appeal. With natural ingredients such as camellia Japonica seed oil, licorice extract, rice bran, green tea, and algae extract, the balm delivers intense hydration and nourishment to the skin. With a covering of 24-karat gold leaf that naturally breaks up into the balm during first use, this clear but subtle wash of shimmer is an elegant reparative daytime treatment.
WORDS: Gloria Cavallaro