Bask in the glorious summer heat! Relax and let loose! But don’t forget your hat, slather on the sunscreen, only go out before 10 a.m. and after 2 p.m., drink plenty of water, take all the right supplements, catch up on your classics… all these rules, despite rumors of summer freedom, can be suffocating. We hear you—oh, do we hear you. With the help of our Charlotte’s Book nutrition gurus, we put together this list of delicious summer cocktails designed to allow you to break a few rules. Don’t worry, it’s all within reason: these recipes are replete with anti-inflammatory, skin-positive ingredients like ginger, avocado, and spirulina. Pinkies up!
1. BEETLEJUICE : This wildly healthy refresher (it might even keep the bugs away?) comes from the lifestyle gurus at Sakara Life, a weekly organic food delivery service with a scientific, spiritual bent. Photo credit: Sakara Life.
2 ounces Ouzo of Plomari (or any black-licorice-flavored alcohol)
2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lime juice
1 teaspoon spirulina powder
3 tablespoons coconut water
1 teaspoon coconut sugar ice
Blend all ingredients and shake until thoroughly mixed + chilled. Pour into a martini glass. Serves two.
- 1 ounce vodka
- 3 ounces strong organic ginger beer
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice
- lime slice
Combine vodka, ginger beer (reduces inflammation, aids digestion) and lime juice (detoxifies). Garnish with lime. Serves one.
3. PUT THE LIME IN THE COCONUT: A summer favorite of Charlotte’s Book founder, Robin Shobin:
- 1 1/2 ounces dry gin
- 1 1/2 ounces pure coconut water
- 3/4 ounce fresh lime juice
Stir together gin, coconut water (extra hydration while you imbibe), and lime juice (detoxifies). Pour over ice, or serve up. Serves one. Photo credit: The Minimalist Baker.
4. GREEN-TINI: Did you think to use your favorite green juice as a mixer? A rejuvenating favorite from expert health coach Holli Thompson.
- 3 ounces of your favorite green juice
- 3 ounces vodka
- half a lemon
- thumbnail-sized piece of ginger, crushed
Shake everything with ice until fully chilled. Pour into a tall cocktail or martini glass, and garnish with candied ginger.
5. TEQUILA SUNSET: From the health and wellness aficionados at Well + Good.
- 1 1/2 ounces tequila, infused with jalapeño (let sit overnight with sliced pepper)
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 1/4 ounce simple syrup
- 3/4 ounce Luxardo Triplum Triple Sec
- 2 spoons of muddled avocado juice (muddle with lime juice)
Add everything—the detoxifying jalapeño and lime, the skin-smoothing avocado—plus ice, to a cocktail shaker. Shake and strain into a tall cocktail glass. Serves one.